The ReTrade project is a social upliftment initiative and community recycling centre which creates informal employment through a bartering system while educating individuals about environmental issues and providing community members with a safe and fun space to recycle in. We have turned recyclables into a valuable commodity which can be used to trade for essential goods at our trading store. Our program is run by big hearted volunteers and all profits from our recycling rebates go directly back into stocking our shelves, thus creating a circular and more sustainable business model. The ReTrade project has evolved into more than just a non-profit organization, but a social enterprise with a green heart!
To see the upliftment of people and the environment.
Mission & Purpose
To assist individuals who need immediate aid by providing for their basic human needs as well as educating them and the wider community in eco-sustainable practices.
This will be achieved through providing an opportunity to access our bartering program, recycling skills training and special open-days.
- To provide a safe and inspiring space for people to recycle their waste
- To deliver a much needed ‘value-for- value’ system through the practice of trading goods. We whole-heartedly believe in giving a hand-up to empower instead of a hand-out which enables
- To promote strong work ethic, ingenuity, and responsibility
- To empower individuals to become self-sufficient through available means
- To reach across cultural and socio-economic boundaries with compassion and care, giving aid and direction to felt needs which arise
- To provide opportunities for unskilled individuals to learn basic skills through our recycling training
- To create awareness regarding the environmental crisis
- To educate individuals and communities in more sustainable living practices and to view waste in a creative way through our open days and skills training.
- To equip traders, volunteers, donors and community members with skills and knowledge in making a difference in stewarding the world in which we live.
Restoration of dignity, work ethic, pride, ingenuity and responsibility
Promoting compassion, relationship, empowerment, sustainability, stewardship and entrepreneurial spirit
We work with the following groups:
- COMMUNITIES: providing a platform for community recycling & environmental education;
- ORGANISATIONS: partnering in development, artisanal green products and sustainable eco-focussed projects;
- INDIVIDUALS: developing trading skills and increasing their capacity and work ethic;
- SCHOOLS and FAMILIES: encouraging education and participation through tours and community programmes